For a recent Electronic Records Management (ERM) project, I was the lead Architect and was tasked with the design, installation and training of an ERM solution for a client here in Canada. The clients motivating factor for the project was regulatory compliance amongst other secondary benefits such as the discontinuing of microfiche and Diazo process and tools and the reduction of real-estate.
Our customer is a pension management entity which manages the pension fund and as such requires a records management system to track pensions. What’s required to track pensions? Well there are a few items that must be tracked (treated as records) using a social insurance number (SIN). They are:
- New pension contracts
- Changes in address
- Contract changes such as marital status and beneficiary
In addition to recording these items as records, we had to retain them in electronic format for 10 years from the date of the beneficiary’s death.
All this information existed in the records management department in the form of microfiche dating back to the 70’s. As you can imagine that takes up space, is error prone in filing and manual in process. Another aspect that is problematic is that filming can be inconsistent and microfiche becomes yellow and brittle. The end goal was to eliminate the filming process and experience the benefits of ERM.
The customer’s requirements wish list consisted of an infrastructure that would provide them with an ERM system for five years. At the end of five years, the ERM would:
- Contain 25mil + images (60-150k in size)
- Records must be retrievable within 10-15 seconds
- Process 25,000 images per day during the conversion
- Scan 25,000 microfiche per day
- Cannot spend more than 1 sec per image upload to the ERM
- User experience cannot be impacted during conversion
- Will support up to 10000 users (250 concurrent)
In addition to these design metrics there were your typical requirements for limited redundancy and quality of service.
The solution consists of the following components and services to provide an ERM and solution. Key to the project is the Meridio and Kofax software and the DRS scanners since they would perform the bulk of the work and provide 90% of the functionality.
- FilePlan consulting
- Knowledge transfer
- User and Administrator Training
- Meridio design and install
- Meridio Search add-on Web Part for SharePoint
- Kofax integration
- DRS scanner install and configuration
- Minolta and Fujitsu scanners
- SharePoint Portal Server design and installation
- Integration with their pension calculation and CRM tool
The solution presented here is repeatable and therefore can be tailored for other such clients that want to convert Microfiche to ERM or just want an ERM to begin stored new documents as records. Today, the solution is live and running smoothly.