Here are four easy lessons to improve your listening abilities.
- Lesson 1 – The two biggest impediments to listening are:
- You often have an opinion before you begin listening.
- You have often made up your mind before you begin listening.
- Lesson 2 – The two most important rules of listening:
- First, listen with the intent to understand.
- Second, listen with the intent to respond.
- Lesson 3 – Think about the way you listen right now:
- Are you doing something else when someone is speaking?
- Do you have your mind on something else when someone else someone is speaking?
- Do you fake listening so that you can get in your comments?
- Are you waiting for a pause to get in your response, because you already know the answer?
- Lesson 4 – At some point you stop listening. When does this occur?
- After you have formulated your response.
- After you have been turned off by the speaker.
- When you decide to interrupt someone to say something.
- When the person speaking isnt saying anything you want to hear.
Some useful guidelines:
- Don’t interrupt
- Ask questions – then be quiet
- Use eye contact
- Listen without judging
- Be a sponge – absorb!
- Have someone else take notes while you ask the questions