http://www.ted.com Jason Fried has a radical theory of working: that the office isn’t a good place to do it. At TEDxMidwest he lays out the main problems (call them the M&Ms) and offers three suggestions to make work work.
What i find interesting is how the workplace is changing – the differences between companies. Traditional views are changing, there is more of a global perspective now, cultural differences, times zones etc… collaboration tools such as SharePoint, OCS, Livemeetings and Smart Phones facilitate but the culture must be ready for the change. You don’t hear much about the cultural impacts of technology from venders and how to address it.
By “removing the ball and chain” from employees you achieve a few things:
- 2-3 extra hours of work per employee per day
- Greater coverage of multiple time zones
- Reduces office politics
- Reduce your office costs – desks and supplies
- Reduce your office leasing costs
- Supports a Green message (reduction in carbon footprint)