Recently I finally got around to building my SharePoint development laptop with all the latest software. The Web is full of articles that cover this but there are some gotchas they don’t tell you about.
Make sure you have a large pot of coffee and fast internet link especially when you apply VS 2010 SP1, this update took two hours on my laptop.
- Windows 7 Ultimate – Use Anytime Upgrade and make sure you install all the features or you’ll have headaches
- Detailed instructions on MSDN Site – http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee554869%28office.14%29.aspx
- SQL Server 2008 R2
- Install Visual Studio 2010
- Install Visual Studio 2010 SP1 – http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=23691
- Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010 (Crystal Reports no longer ships as part of Visual Studio) –
- Install SharePoint Designer 2010 – http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=24309
- Microsoft Expression Web 4
- Adobe PhotoShop
- Adobe Illustrator
- SharePoint Development in Visual Studio – http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee330921%28VS.100%29.asp
- Building and Debugging – http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee231592.aspx
- Packaging and Deploying – http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee231544.aspx
- More samples – http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee290855.aspx